Thursday, 3 July 2014

Strawberries: Ice Cream, Bakewell Tart and Sewing


Golly it's been a long time since I've written anything here on the blog, time seems to have flown by and juggling the demands of the three little ones hasn't left me with much spare time or energy.  But with the sun out and shining it's been strawberry picking (and eating) time in our garden. It's reminded me of the fun we had this time last year making strawberry ice cream. 


First the picking, searching carefully to find them, skillfully handling them and learning about when they are ready to pick (and of course this involved the taste buds!)


Then into the kitchen for some making, with lemon squeezing, weighing and measuring.  We used a recipe from Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook, but there are loads available on the web.

 


Then into the freezer and a mix every few hours.  Or an ice cream maker does it all for you.  I'm not sure we were diligent enough with breaking up the ice crystals enough times as it was very tasty but a bit frosty in places.


Very popular.
 

We also made gooseberry and elderflower ice cream with some garden produce, again from Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook.  I am yet to find a child friendly gooseberry bush, I think you can get some spineless varieties but ours are definitely not that so I did most of this picking.

  

This year I made strawberry jam with our strawberry crop, and  made my first bakewell tart, a family tradition from my husband's Granny.  Another popular sweet treat with everyone.


I also made these lovely felt and fabric strawberry's from the Red Ted Art Book.  Perfect for play picnics in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! An Ellie blog! Good to see you back - but where did your babies go? They've all grown up! We're hoping to go strawberry picking soon so may have to try the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...