Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Kids Get Arty: Anthony Gormley in Play Dough!


For the Kids Get Arty challenge we decided to take a look at some sculpture art and look at Anthony Gormley's "Fields for the British Isles" and have a go at creating our own Play Dough version! 

 Kid's Get Arty Link-up is a bi-monthly linky, all about exploring art and different artists, having fun together and there are no right or wrongs - perfect!  It's hosted by some fabulous blogs Red Ted ArtThe Imagination TreeImagination SoupMom 2 Posh Lil Divas, Creative with Kids and Tinkerlab and we're very excited to be taking part.

First we had a search on the internet and had a look at some of the pictures of Fields for the British Isles installations.  We talked about how all the little clay figures were all individually made by hand and that they were all different.  We had a go at describing what they looked like, what their expressions were and Little Chick thought it was important to recognise that the biggest ones were daddys, the next biggest ones mummies and the smaller ones children and the tiny ones babies!

Antony Gormley's "Field for the British Isles" art installation 

Little Chick decided we should make ours in lots of different colours - so out came ALL our play dough for some little figure making.



With the laptop open and the pictures on screen for us to keep referring to, we started making our own little figures.


Shoeshine was helping too and enjoyed poking the eye holes with a stick - there were a few with a lot of eyes!  I also enjoyed making a few too.


Our collection of little people began to grow.


And there was an opportunity to practice counting too!  We didn't quite get up to 40,000 though!


But we did make quite a lot of figures before the girls said they were done.
  

I love these little play dough characters!
You could, of course, try this with real clay, but I just love the malleability of play dough in little hands.  
Next time I wonder whether we might have a go at Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North in another medium?

Little Chick 4 years 4 months
Shoeshine 2 years 1 month
Boo 4 months

10 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea, these are gorgeous. I am not familiar with Antony Gormley's work, thanks for introducing me to this artist. The figures are truly capivating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a brilliant idea, I love his work and your version is amazing.
    I'm so glad I found your blog, you have some great ideas. I'm following you from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you've found some good ideas hear. Thanks for following. Ellie

      Delete
  3. I might be your newest follower but I've decided to award your blog the Liebster Award, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is BRILLIANT!!!!! And I will never look at playdough the same way again. Rest assured, my kids and I WILL Be doing this. You are a star.

    Thanks for joining in with Kids Get Arty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Kid's get Arty - can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  5. This is a completely new artist on me, but how expressive they look all on mass like that! Love they way your children have made them, I think I prefer them in all the different colours! Amanda (the Ana Mum Diary)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I like them in colour too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...