Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Small World Play: Arctic Snowy World


Last year we had lots of fun with small world play scenes, particularly over the winter months, inspired by some fantastic scenes from The Imagination Tree (seaside, dinosaur land & construction site).  So one of the things I've been looking forward to this winter is the chance to make some more. As Little Chick is currently obsessed with asking when is it going to snow (and why didn't it snow at Christmas) and given it's unlikely to be snowing here anytime soon, I thought it would be fun to do a pretend snowy play scene for the girls.


First I built some icebergs, I say built, I just used some odd shaped pieces of polystyrene packaging from a parcel that had arrived this week.  I cut up a few bits of the polystyrene and washed and scrubbed them with a washing up brush to get rid of any of the loose bits.   I then lined a tray with sparkly shiny wrapping paper, the foil type rather than the paper sort and the back with some blue plastic sheeting and added some Arctic animals. This was all done in the evening ready for the girls to discover the next day. 


The next day the girls were very excited and to add to the fun we used some simple bathroom products - bubble bath and shaving foam.  


The blue bubble bath for the water and some shaving foam for the snow for loads of messy sensory fun. Little Chick loved helping to add the snow and kept saying 'more snow, more snow!'


Our local children's centre often use shaving foam for sensory messy play and I thought it would be perfect for our snowy scene.  The bonus is it wipes up really easily and smells lovely!   


Little Chick immediately asked for a boat and some people.  So I quickly made a boat from a cream cheese tub, lolly stick and triangle of paper stuck together with sellotape.


Little chick said the penguin was on an iceberg and it was the penguin from the book Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers.  I love how they link things together, it never ceases to amaze me just how much they are taking in every day.


Both the girls got stuck in.


Shoeshine was fascinated by the texture and touch of the shaving foam.


The people went for lots of sailing trips in the boat.


And lots and lots of walks in the snow.



And a bit of swimming too!


It was lovely seeing the girls playing together.


There was lots of wiping the little figures and wiping each other's hands.


We had loads of fun with this play, there was lots of imaginative play, making stories with the little people, plenty of sensory play with the different textures of the shaving foam and bubble bath and a fair bit of messy play squashing, squishing and squeezing the foam.  It was also great to have an activity the girls could enjoy together, with a good bit of co-operative play going on.

10 comments:

  1. Perfect! What fun the shaving foam is. I must have a go.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes shaving foam seems to be a lot of fun.

      Ellie

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! Love the polar bear cave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea! I will have to try it with my girls. I am stumbling this post. Visiting from Kids Get Crafty. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Shaving foam is so much fun! Ellie

      Delete
  4. Love this post! I love making small worlds (probably just a little less than my kiddos love playing in them!) - I think the polystyrene and shaving foam is a full-on genius moment - well done mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind, thank you. The girls seemed to have a lot of fun with it (as well as me!)

      Delete
  5. This is ADORABLE! Awesome ideas. I just found your blog, and am your newest follower! I'd LOVE to invite you to link this up at my Thrifty Thursday Linky Party...a place to share free or nearly free learning activities for kids! I'm a speech pathologist and mother, and I blog all about both :) Hope to see you other there! http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2012/01/thrifty-thursday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the invite to the Link up, will definitely be there this week to link up for some more play fun. Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...