Thursday, 13 October 2011

Cinderella Pumpkin Lantern


One of things that's grown in the garden this year has been a pumpkin plant  It was a rogue seed planted by a mouse that had stolen it from our compost bin and 'planted' in one of our beds.  Seeing as our garden is still a work in progress we decided to leave it in.  It grew enormous and produced seven pumpkins!


So what do with a load of pumpkins?  I always love the glow of the Halloween lanterns, but am not so keen on the faces particularly as we don't celebrate Halloween.  Last autumn we had lots of fun decorating and painting pumpkins inspired by The Imagination Tree's Sparkly pumpkins and Little Chick has already been asking when she can paint these pumpkins.  So this year I thought we could make a Cinderella pumpkin carriage lantern.
  

I cut off the top and hulled out the inside, the girls are a bit little to be able to help with this at the moment, but they enjoyed watching it take shape as they played around me.  I also had to read the Cinderella story whilst doing it, Little Chick insisted.  Shoeshine also really enjoyed squishing her fingers in the flesh and seeds and putting the lid back on the pumpkin when I turned my back!


This is the carriage, I basically did 2 windows and a door using a sharp knife.  I then used a skewer to make the hole for the door handle.
 

Little Chick chose lots of colours of paint and we went in the garden as it was such a gorgeous afternoon.


She got busy painting.


She really enjoyed doing this and it kept her busy for ages, choosing her next colour, choosing where to paint etc.  As you can see from the picture there is one sparkle on the top and she would not be persuaded to add any more!  A minimalist in the making?


And her finished decorated Cinderella carriage.


Whilst she was painting I made some wheels out of cardboard, drawing round a yoghurt pot, cutting them out and painting them.  I then fixed them to the carriage with two large paper clips that I had unbent.  One bit was stuck to the back of the wheel with sticky tape and the other I bent round and pushed into the pumpkin and inside the pumpkin I bent it 90 degrees to stop them falling out.


 Perfect for Cinderella!


After tea when it was starting to get dark it was time to light it up.  I used two tea lights, although had I had some, I would have used the LED tea lights you can get so she could play with it.  It looked lovely glowing away, although I think Little Chick really wanted to play with it, so might have to get some LED lights.


This was a great way to have fun with pumpkin lanterns.  It would also make a great centre piece for an autumn girls princess birthday party or something.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my.. I was just saying how as an Austrian, I am not really that into pumpkin carving.. but that I will have a go with my British chilren as it is a "must craft" at some point... and we are SO GOING TO MAKE YOUR PUMPKIN!!! (next year).

    Thank you so much for sharing on Kids Get Crafty :-)

    Maggy
    Have put it on Pinterest for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen anything like it! Since I've learned of the origin of pumpkin carving I've not looked at carved pumpkins the same... but this one is quite different so I think it's a really cool idea. So cute to see your little girl pain it nice and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just linked this up on the Mess For Less Facebook page. Great idea! Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what a wonderful Cinderella pumpkin!! I just love it! What a fabulous idea! I am going to share this on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful!!! I love it! I'm your new fallower because I fell in love with your Cinderella pumpkin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE it! So sweet!
    I want that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just spotted your Cinderella pumpkin lantern on It's Playtime at The Imagination Tree blog. I love it and can't wait to show my little girl when she wakes up tomorrow.

    Your blog is inspiring and I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I are in love! That is fantastic and we will be making one for sure! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for such lovely comments, hope you have lots of fun if you get a chance to try this one out, would love to see your versions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will share this right away on my Facebook Page! Great creative work, we love it:)
    Angelique and Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo I LOVE this and I know a certain little 3 year old who will be over the moon if I suggest we make it too! Thanks so much for linking up (and for the mention!) Lovely to see your posts, as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angelique - thanks for sharing on your FB page.
    Anna - thanks for your lovely comment hope you and C have as much fun as we did doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I don't think this could be any cuter! How brilliant of you! I included this in a roundup of pumpkin activities for kids today :) Thanks for a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. adorable! We just featured your craft on our facebook wall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful, can you make it a ferrarri for a boy...?
    and can you make such a pumpkin lantern and eat the pumpkin in the same time...? As I already planned a delicious pumpkin pasta meal...

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love this! We carved a pumpkin tonight and I requested a Cinderella pumpkin... my husband looked at me like I was nuts but we made one anyway and we love it! We used painted mini pumpkins for wheels and put a breyer horse in front of it so it looks really cool. :) I'll be blogging it with a link back to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all your lovely comments.

    Lindsey what a great idea using mini pumpkins for wheels and adding a horse, let me know when you've blogged yours I would love to see it.

    Aleksandra I've also been thinking what else you could carve, a car could work with a funny shaped pumpkin or squash maybe, otherwise a space ship might work?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just beautiful and I must say, incredibly creative. I'm going to try this next time around. I'll bet a white one would look great too with tons of glitter? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just saw a link to this from Growing a Jeweled Rose and I have to say that I CANNOT wait to do this. My daughter is going to flip out. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, hope your daughter has fun, I'm sure my girls will be wanting to do this again this year. Ellie

      Delete
  20. Love this idea! My princess will be creating this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! I'll do for the next halloween. Promise.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...